At least 17 people were wounded in an explosion that targeted a tourist bus on its way to visit Egypt’s Giza pyramids, CNN reports.
The television news network is quoting Egypt’s state-run Ahram Daily as saying that the bus was carrying 25 South African citizens.
A device exploded near the bus, while the windshield of another vehicle was damaged, the CNN report says.
Ten tourists and seven Egyptians were brought to Al-Haram Hospital with minor injuries, Ahmed Bassiouny, a medical doctor, told CNN.
Ten tourists and seven Egyptians were brought to Al-Haram Hospital with minor injuries, Ahmed Bassiouny, a medical doctor, told CNN. Ten patients have left the hospital, while seven were transferred to another hospital.
Via a Twitter post, Egypt’s Minister of Tourism Rania A. Al Mashat said of the 28 passengers on the bus, only a few persons suffered minor injuries with three being treated at the hospital. Ranai described the incident as “Minor.”
South Africa’s government issued a statement on Sunday, saying the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Lindiwe Sisulu, had been informed about the incident.
“Initial media reports suggest that South Africans might be among the injured,” the statement said.
“The 24-hour operational center has been activated and South Africa’s Ambassador Vusi Mavimbela and his team in Egypt are engaging with authorities including visiting hospitals to verify the information.”
In December, three Vietnamese tourists and an Egyptian tour guide were killed when a roadside bomb struck a tourist bus in the Giza region. At least 11 people were injured in the attack.