‘CYCLONE KENNEDY’ RAVAGES MOZAMBIQUE AS MANY FLEE FOR SAFETY

Days after a deadly cyclone named ‘Kennedy’ struck the people of Mozambique leaving many dead and nearly 35,000 homes destroyed, a United Nations,UN, spokesman say the situation in the Africa nation is even worse than thought.

The system struck the Africa nation on Thursday with winds of 220km/h (140mph) which flattened whole villages.

Around 700,000 people are now thought to be at risk in the area as torrential rains continue. Waves up to 4m high are expected, and aid agencies fear rains will worsen.

“We are very worried because, according to the forecasts, heavy rain is expected for the next four days,” Deborah Nguyen, UN World Food Programme spokeswoman. “We expect the rainfall to be twice as much as that which accompanied Cyclone Idai,” she added.

Pemba, regional capital of Cabo Delgado state, home to about 400,000 people has experienced more than 2m (6.5ft) of rain and the heavy rains have placed many in danger.

Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha) spokesman Saviano Abreu said the situation in the towns of Macomia and Quissanga was critical, adding that there were also worries for the cut-off island of Ibo.

Landslides are a growing worry in the city’s Mahate neighbourhood, regional Ocha authorities said, while in the Natite neighbourhood houses have started to collapse.

Cabo Delgado province is not as densely populated as the area hit by Cyclone Idai, and there is apparently more high ground there.

The World Food Programme has reportedly begun giving out rations to stranded people, but destroyed roads have forced operations to end in the most isolated areas.

Thousands of people had already fled their homes to seek shelter from violence in camps for displaced people.

Cyclone Idai killed more than 900 people across three countries in March this year.

 

leave a reply