Ghana calls on Citizenry to continue Observing COVID-19 Safety Measures in order to Prevent a new Wave of Infections

Ghana's Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah Ghana's Minister of Information, Oppong Nkrumah addressing a news conference

Ghanaian government has called on the citizenry, to continue the strict observance of all the preventive etiquette of COVID-19, to prevent a new wave of infections.

Ghana’s Minister of Information, Kwadwo Oppong Nkrumah, while addressing a news conference in Accra on Sunday, said the Government had taken note of a new wave of COVID-19 infections in some parts of the world especially Europe, America and Asia.

He said countries in some parts of Europe were seeing a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, after many of them had successfully slowed the initial outbreak a few months ago.

Mr Oppong Nkrumah said “the Government of Ghana takes note of the fact that at this time our air borders are opened to flights from some of these countries thereby heightening our risk.

“At this time therefore the Government of Ghana is going for strict observation of the inbound flight protocols that were outlined a few weeks ago when the airports were opened,” he added.

He stated that in addition to the strict observation of this protocol, the country would continue with the two layer test approach that were currently underway at the airports, to avoid the second wave of the virus.

He said Ghana therefore continued to strictly observe the development in these countries, which would inform whether or not they would consider some travel restrictions from the places.

Mr Oppong Nkrumah however explained that Ghana’s approach towards the management of the COVID-19 pandemic, had remained to limit the importation of the virus into the country, and manage community spread within its jurisdiction, in addition to the other part of its national strategy.

The West African country has recorded 46,387 C0VID-19 cases so far, with 45,618 recoveries and 299 deaths.

leave a reply